Our Climate is a grassroots organization dedicated to holding polluters accountable for climate change. We educate and organize young advocates in support of a carbon price that is grounded in science and justice. We believe a strong and equitable carbon price is up to the task of stabilizing our climate, and as Millennials and young people, we are uniquely positioned to advocate effectively for its passage.
We believe that our movement needs to build the political will for effective, bipartisan climate action, and that states can be powerful models for federal policy. It’s up to us to empower a new generation of leaders who are ready to seize this opportunity. We are partnering with the National Geographic documentary TV series, Years of Living Dangerously, to make this vision a reality through the national Put A Price On It campaign.
We are currently seeking a full time Field Organizer in the Northeast to conduct outreach to schools and universities in states with the potential to enact a state carbon price as soon as 2017. Responsibilities include creative organizing (including action and event planning), recruitment and development of student leaders, and educating decision-makers about the efficacy of carbon pricing. This position is remote but must be based in the Northeast.
The Our Climate team is creative, bold, and collaborative. We welcome a hardworking new teammate who’s passionate about robust climate action and ready for an ever-evolving role in national civic leadership.
- Conduct outreach to university campuses in target states and districts, building relationships via phone, email, and on-site visits;
- Recruit, train, and coordinate student leaders to build local support and become powerful advocates;
- Organize creative events to attract youth of diverse backgrounds to the movement and earn media;
- Generate awareness of climate change, energy economics, and carbon pricing through traditional and social media;
- Hit monthly benchmarks including volunteer recruitment and leadership activation;
- Actively participate in state carbon pricing coalitions and determine how students and Millennials can most effectively contribute to existing statewide efforts.
- Commitment to Our Climate’s mission;
- Positive, energetic attitude and a strong belief in the power of grassroots organizing;
- Experience (as volunteer or staffer) delivering results in a campaign environment;
- Ability to meet deadlines and work quickly and cooperatively under pressure;
- Excellent writing, speaking, and interpersonal skills;
- Willingness to travel and work irregular hours (nights and weekends);
- Familiarity with Northeast climate efforts is a plus.
Salary: Commensurate with relevant experience. Salary will be in the range of $28,000-$32,000, plus overtime.
To apply: Send cover letter and resume (one PDF) to Page Atcheson at email@example.com. Please include “Field Organizer Application” in the subject line. We will accept applications on a rolling basis.
Our Climate is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages people of color, women, and LGBT applicants to apply.