About Us: Our Climate is a national non-profit that mobilizes young people to advocate for science-based and equitable climate policies at the state and national level. Our Climate has traditionally organized young people to advocate for state-level carbon pricing policies. In Nebraska, Fellows will work to advance policies like a State Climate Action Plan, advocate for healthy soils, and build a diverse network of young climate advocates. We will directly engage elected officials to pass climate policies and rally the public in their support. Applications are currently being accepted for the 2020 Nebraska Fellowship.
Position Description: Fellows will work closely with Our Climate’s National Field Coordinator to achieve mutually agreed upon goals. This educational and supportive arrangement is designed to build a stronger and more diverse coalition of young leaders demanding climate action in Nebraska. Fellows will commit 5-10 hours a week from May 11 - December 1. The fellowship will begin at the conclusion of the Spring Semester and conclude with organizing through the 2020 Election.
Fellows are a core part of the Nebraska Field Team. Nebraska Fellows will work with peers from across the state to hold elected officials accountable and advance policies to equitably reduce pollution. Fellows will receive support from Our Climate’s National Field Coordinator to meet with lawmakers, share their stories in the media, organize voter registration and turnout drives, and build a strong network of young climate activists in Nebraska.
Some things to look forward to during the fellowship:
- Weekly video calls with staff and other fellows to discuss strategy and assignments
- Personal development as a climate advocate
- Learning about the climate crisis and the climate movement
- Identifying and securing opportunities to attend, table, or speak at community events in support of climate action
- Organize and hold in-district meetings with elected officials
- Writing and submitting media materials, including letters to the editor, op-eds, and blog posts
- Engaging other young people about the power of voting and organizing voter-reg/GOTV
- Working to advocate for climate policies and build relationships in the Nebraska legislature
- Empower peers to be climate advocate through the OC Field Rep Program
- Foster the growing coalition building that OC is involved with
Additionally, fellows will be encouraged to actively participate in team decisions around strategy, effective messaging, and targeted outreach with a strong focus on the campus community.
Locations: Remote, all college campuses in Nebraska.
Dates: Deadline to apply: May 1st
Start: May 11th
End: December 1st
To apply, please fill out this form.
Application deadline is May 1. An Our Climate representative will follow up to schedule a 30-minute interview if you seem to be a good fit for the position. Questions concerning the Nebraska Fellowship can be directed to Steven Kirchner at firstname.lastname@example.org
Potential Compensation: Nebraska Fellows are eligible to apply for up to $500 in reimbursement to attend trainings, conferences, and/or other events that contribute to your growth as a climate leader. While this reimbursement is not guaranteed, Fellow applications will receive priority. Additionally, we are happy to work with students to receive credit through their school if possible.