Location: New York, New York, with occasional travel required.
About Our Climate: Our Climate is a grassroots organization dedicated to empowering the generations most affected by climate change to advocate for strong and equitable climate policy. We believe putting a price on carbon is a critical policy tool to mitigate greenhouse gas emissions, and we are educating and organizing young advocates across the country in support of the policy. Our Climate co-leads the national Put A Price On It campaign, with the National Geographic series Years of Living Dangerously. This position will also work with our sister 501(c)(3), Our Climate Education Fund.
Overview of Position: The primary responsibilities of the New York State Director are:
1) Build a strong and active group of engaged college and millennial climate leaders throughout the state to help enact bold climate policy in New York. This position will provide support and leadership development to student leaders who are advocating for strong and equitable carbon pricing policy, specifically via trainings, workshops, and one-on-one support.
2) Develop and strengthen relationships with foundations, individual donors, and key partners in order to secure funding and long-term support for Our Climate. The NY State Director will work closely with the Executive Director to identify, pursue, and strengthen new partnership and funding opportunities, while advising on state and federal level campaign strategy.
This position will be based in New York City and will report to our Executive Director.
50% of Time:
- Organize and facilitate climate policy and advocacy trainings for students and millennials throughout New York State.
- Support student leaders in securing endorsements from influential community leaders, elected officials and/or local governments.
- Prepare students to hold conversations with state lawmakers to discuss the efficacy of carbon pricing.
- Organize educational and outreach events across the state, with the help of student leaders, volunteers, and staff.
- Mobilize students to take action through outreach events, tabling on campus, petition-gathering, etc.
- Empower student leaders via trainings, workshops, and one-on-one support.
- Utilize social media, videos, and digital actions to reach thousands of New Yorkers in order to drive the conversation around statewide carbon pricing policies.
50% of Time:
- Work with Executive Director to ensure adequate resources for organizational goals; this includes relationship development, strategic planning, and partnership building.
- Identify, research, and cultivate relationships with foundations, high net worth individuals and strategic partners, with particular focus on New York City.
- Drive initiatives in the management team and organizationally that contribute to long-term strategic and organizational excellence.
- Occasionally assist with internal and external written communications, including grant applications, monthly newsletters, program evaluations, annual reports, and website content.
Minimum Qualifications: We’re seeking candidates who are collaborative, results-oriented, forward thinking, and dedicated to our mission. Candidates should demonstrate the following:
- People-person, able to foster genuine working relationships of trust and solidarity with a wide variety of partners.
- Strong knowledge of New York political landscape and communities.
- Excellent organizational, writing, communication, and public-speaking skills.
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, and self-motivated.
- Proven ability to take initiative, effectively manage multiple projects at once to produce high-quality results, delegate tasks when working on collaborative projects, and manage across the organization.
- Excels in fast-paced, collaborative working environments.
- Commitment to Our Climate's mission.
Candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be considered even stronger if they demonstrate the following:
- Strong verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Familiarity with C3/C4 structures.
- Experience with grant-writing, donor relations, and partnership building.
The New York State Director position is by no means limited to these responsibilities. As part of a small and ambitious team, you will be expected to participate in state and federal strategy, foundation and partnership development, and planning discussions, among other organizational and campaign tasks.
Salary: $50,000-60,000 annual salary, commensurate with experience.
Benefits: Our Climate offers health insurance coverage, professional development opportunities, cell phone reimbursements and generous paid time off.
To Apply: Please email a cover letter and resume as one PDF to Page Atcheson Matilsky at email@example.com, with subject line “NY State Director.” Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
We welcome applications from all, and strongly encourage people of color, women, people with disabilities, immigrants, and members of the LGBTQ community to apply.