Our Climate is a national non-profit that mobilizes young people to advocate for science-based and equitable climate policies at the state and national level. In New York, we are working to hold polluters accountable and transition our economy to a clean energy future in collaboration with the NY Renews coalition. Fellows will train and organize other students, rally public support for climate action and polluter accountability policy, and engage directly with elected officials. Applications are currently being accepted for the 2020 New York spring semester fellowship.
Fellows will work closely with Our Climate’s New York State Director to achieve mutually agreed upon deliverables. This educational and supportive arrangement is designed to build a stronger and more diverse coalition of young leaders for demanding polluter accountability and a just transition to renewable energy in New York. Fellows will work 5-10 hours a week from January 15 - May 31.
New York Fellows will work with peers from across the state to hold elected officials accountable and advance equitable climate policies. Fellows will receive support from Our Climate’s New York team to meet with lawmakers, share their stories in the media, build a strong network of young climate activists and train young people to be effective advocates in New York.
Deliverables for the spring semester include but are not limited to:
- Attending weekly video calls with staff and other Fellows to discuss strategy and assignments;
- Identifying and securing opportunities to attend, table, or speak at community events in support of climate action and the NY Renews campaign;
- Organizing and facilitating 2-3 storytelling and climate advocacy trainings for young people in your community;
- Organizing and holding 3-5 meetings with state level elected officials;
- Writing and submitting 3 media materials, including letters to the editor, op-eds, and blog posts.
Additionally, Fellows will be encouraged to actively participate in team decisions around strategy, effective messaging, and targeted outreach with a strong focus on the campus community.
Remote, throughout New York
Start: January 15
End: May 31
Applications are no longer being accepted for the spring semester Fellowship program. Please check back soon for future opportunities!