Our Climate Upstate New York Organizer (Part-Time)
January 2019-December 2019
Location: Upstate New York; (Albany, Buffalo, Syracuse, flexible for the right candidate). Travel required (~30% of time)
About Our Climate: Our Climate is a grassroots organization dedicated to empowering the generations most affected by climate change to advocate for strong and equitable climate policy. We believe putting a price on carbon is a critical policy tool to mitigate greenhouse gas emissions, and we are educating and organizing young advocates across the country in support of the policy. Our Climate co-leads the national Put A Price On It campaign, with the National Geographic series Years of Living Dangerously.
This position will also work with our sister 501(c)(4) organization.
Overview of Position: The primary responsibility of the Upstate New York Organizer is to assist Our Climate’s New York State Director to develop and support a strong and active group of engaged student leaders in upstate New York to help enact bold climate policy. This position will provide support and leadership development to Fellows, Field Reps, and student leaders who are advocating for strong and equitable carbon pricing policy, specifically via trainings, workshops, and one-on-one support.
This position will be a remote position based in a strategic city in Upstate New York and report to our New York State Director, who is based in New York City.
50% of Time (with a focus on regions north and west of Albany, New York):
- Plan and host outreach events on college campuses to identify and recruit strong student leaders
- Support NY State Director to organize and facilitate climate policy, storytelling, and advocacy trainings for students and millennials
- Mobilize students to take action through outreach events (tabling on campus, petition-gathering, etc.)
- Assist NY State Director with supporting Fellows in achieving their outlined goals and deliverables during each semester
- Prepare students to hold conversations with state lawmakers to discuss the efficacy of carbon pricing
20% of Time:
Help to plan and execute 2-3 Student Advocacy Days in Albany during the 2019 legislative session. Responsibilities may include:
- Being responsible for travel and day of logistics
- Helping student leaders to schedule meetings with their elected officials
- Preparing students to educate their elected officials about the benefits of certain climate policies
- Supporting students the day of the event
20% of Time:
- Work with New York Renews coalition members on strategic outreach, messaging, and advocacy plans to push key climate legislation forward in the State Senate and Assembly
- Occasionally meet with key stakeholders to help build support for renewable energy and carbon pricing policies
- Build relationships with editors of regional and local newspapers and assist student leaders in sharing their climate stories via social and earned media
10% of Time:
- Join and participate in weekly Field calls, monthly Staff meetings, and other administrative tasks including, but not limited, updating student & organizational contacts in NationBuilder and Salesforce
- Occasionally assist with internal and external written communications, including monthly newsletters, program evaluations, annual reports, and website content
The Upstate New York Organizer position is by no means limited to these responsibilities. As part of a small and ambitious team, you will be expected to participate in state and federal strategy and planning discussions, among other organizational and campaign tasks.
We’re seeking candidates who are self starters, are team players, are results-oriented, and are dedicated to our mission. Candidates should demonstrate the following:
- Belief in the power of grassroots organizing and empowering young people to become powerful advocates;
- Organized, collaborative, and proactive work style;
- Commitment to meeting quantitative and qualitative goals and a history of getting things done, even in the face of obstacles;
- Ability to work in remote, fast-paced, and flexible working environment;
- Commitment to climate, environmental, racial, and social justice.
Candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be considered even stronger if they demonstrate the following:
- Knowledge of climate and carbon pricing policy
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Stellar graphic design and/or social media skills
- Experience using online platforms including NationBuilder and Salesforce
Compensation & Benefits: This is a part time hourly position that pays $16-$22/hour, depending on experience. Benefits include paid time off, cell phone reimbursements, and subsidized public transit. This position will be eligible for retirement benefits after 6 months
To Apply: Please email a cover letter and resume to Nicole Crescimanno at email@example.com, with subject line “Upstate NY Organizer.” Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. Please submit your application as soon as possible. We are eager to fill this position by January 1st, 2019.
We welcome applications from all, and strongly encourage people of color, women, people with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQ community to apply.