Since I became an Our Climate Fellow in January, I’ve met hundreds of students in Washington State who are eager to work towards bold climate solutions. Through the fellowship, I’ve witnessed the crucial determination of people behind a movement, and learned how to have my voice heard. I now feel less alone in my cause, and this solidarity gives me courage to advocate for my future.
Today, I’m writing to ask you to support our youth-led movement to win strong climate policy.
Our Climate is fighting for a focused and powerful solution to climate change: a price on pollution. It should not be free to spew dangerous and dirty pollution into our shared atmosphere; it’s not right or fair. But more than that, a well-designed price on carbon pollution will swiftly reduce emissions and accelerate the transition to a clean energy economy. It is the policy we need to avert the worst effects of climate change.
Our Climate leaders are working every day to build a movement that will win this policy, on campuses, in state legislatures, and—eventually—in the US Congress. Since the beginning of the year, Our Climate leaders have collectively:
- Held 450 conversations with state and federal lawmakers to encourage them to take action on climate—and put a price on carbon.
- Trained 130 students to organize and advocate effecitvely for bold climate policy.
- Organized dozens of outreach events to build a base of support for carbon pricing in target states.
- Published 20 op-eds, letters to the editor, and blog posts.
- Engaged over 1.5 million people online, thanks to our campaign partner Years of Living Dangerously.
Our work is making a difference. Ten states are seriously considering carbon pricing policies to reach their carbon reduction goals. Influential publications including the New York Times and the Washington Post have urged lawmakers across the political spectrum to back the policy. Young conservatives are getting on board.
We need your help to keep building momentum. Friend, can you donate $25, $50, or $100 today to help us win a strong price on carbon to protect our future?
Thank you for being a part of our movement to pass ambitious, strong climate policy. As young people fighting for our future, we could not do this work without your generous support.
Jade J. Lauw
University of Washington Senior and Our Climate Fellow